About the role
You will collaborate closely with our design and product teams who are responsible for delivering the strategic, UX and visual design of large-scale, distributed software applications, systems and services. You will be responsible for providing the customer insight that allows us to design global-scale services, which will enable customers to engage with their vehicles and new mobility services in never-before-seen ways.
Our UX team collaborate with larger, cross-functional teams comprised primarily of product and engineering. We’re looking for someone who can help us define high-quality UX research practices and bring other customer-facing parts of the organisation together.
We’re building an in-house design team, and this role is key to helping us get closer to the customer and keep them close. We want to be able to actively capture unfiltered insights on our customers current and emerging needs to inform our product strategy. Equally, we need to be able to have customers on tap so we can test and evaluate our ideas and prototypes quickly and effectively.
You will need to help the broader Toyota organisation understand the value of in-depth qualitative user research and communicate back your findings to level up the organisations understanding of the customer.
What will you do?
- Work alongside product and design to create strategic frameworks, typologies, personas and full research plans that guide product and design teams throughout the product lifecycle.
- Align well-thought-out research plans with the product roadmap with senior UXR peers and business leaders.
- Design and implement user-centred research throughout the design and development cycle (from discovery to delivery) using a variety of methodologies including ethnographic interviews, ethnography, contextual enquiry, diary studies, concept testing, benchmarking/competitive analysis, usability, persona/profile creation and other appropriate qualitative and quantitative research techniques.
- Define, track and report key user experience metrics.
- Perform quick but thorough data analysis in order to create actionable insights and recommendations.
- Continually monitor research, data and trends from secondary research sources (both internal and external) such as academic research and industry reports to inform and improve our research methods and methodology.
- Be comfortable conducting research in various consumer environments (e.g. home, office) as well as lab settings.
- Be an advocate for the customer.
- Proactively prioritise, manage, and identify opportunities for value-added work.
- Establishes a quality bar on how and why we engage in UX research by influencing, modelling, and scaling ways of working beyond the local UX team to evangelise and push customer-centric research into the larger organisation
- Act as a connector between the following teams: Data, Marketing Insights, R&D and UX Research and Customer Experience
- Drive the creation of a centralised platform for all existing and new research
- Successfully engage and manage work within multiple initiatives while operating independently or within a team
- Motivate, inspire, and influence others in the org to engage with design thinking and best UX practices
We’d love to speak with you if you have some or all of the following:
- An advanced degree in human-computer interaction, cognitive psychology, behavioural science, psychology, sociology, communication, information science or related field or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience in user research in applied product research and agile environment
- Thorough knowledge and experience of a range of UX research approaches and methodologies
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills with a proven ability to turn research results into product insights
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence a range of audiences
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Familiarity with modern developer platforms and ecosystems a plus
- PhD, human behaviour related field: human-computer interaction, cognitive psychology, behavioural science, psychology, sociology, communication, information science or related field or equivalent experience
Equal Opportunities, Diversity & Inclusion
Toyota Connected Europe is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business. Every role is open to all sections of society and we are committed to providing equal opportunities to all. If you have a disability or any other additional need that requires consideration, accommodation or adjustment to the role or recruitment process, please do let us know. Don’t check every box on the list but are interested in working for us? Please apply, we would still love to hear from you!